What are white fillings?
White fillings are dental fillings that restore and mimic the natural appearance of tooth structure. Apart from restoring teeth that have fractured or decayed, white fillings can also be used cosmetically to change the colour, size and shape of teeth. This quality is particularly useful in closing gaps between teeth; repairing chipped teeth and making teeth appear to be more straight or even.
The advantages of white fillings in Mosman, Sydney
- 1- They precisely match natural tooth colour and appearance.
- 2- Composite fillings can be created in smaller preparations, so less of your tooth structure is lost and less drilling is needed.
- 3- They harden immediately, instead of days required by other materials.
- 4- Tooth sensitivity is minimal and brief due to composite resin use.
- 5- The material is made from acrylic and glass particles.
- 6- They can be used on front and back teeth without compromising esthetics.
- 7- They can be repaired if damaged.
- 8- White fillings restore 85% – 95% of the original strength of the tooth.
After removing plaque, tartar, decay and any existing filling, the treatment site is cleaned and then dried. To aid the bonding, the tooth surface is etched and coated with a gel and bonding solution by the dentist at Aussie Smile Dentist in Mosman. Once ready, the white filling material is placed into the tooth cavity, or area to be filled, and then moulded to match the tooth shape. A curing light is then used to harden the filling before it is trimmed and polished to look like a natural part of your tooth.
Should I replace my amalgam fillings with white ones?
It is always recommended to change fillings only when your dentist decides that an old filling needs replacing. If that is the case, you can ask to have it replaced in a tooth-coloured material next time when you visit us at Aussie Smile Dentist.